Mathematics is an essential life skill. It is an essential element of communication, widely used in society, both in everyday situations and in the world of work.
Our aims and intent in teaching mathematics are:
- To equip pupils with the mathematics they need to become numerate.
- To develop their ability to apply mathematical skills with confidence and understanding when solving problems.
- To enable pupils to express themselves and their ideas using the language of mathematics with assurance.
- To develop positive attitudes to mathematics, recognising that mathematics can be both useful and enjoyable.
- To nurture a fascination and excitement of mathematics
- To be able to use and apply their skills in other curricular areas.
The new National Curriculum 2014 set an aspirational target for all children by the end of Year 4 to have instant recall of times table facts up to 12x12. At Lydeard St Lawrence Primary we incorporate the learning of these table facts into our daily lessons.
In Key Stage 2, children will be able to access an online learning tool called Times Table Rock Stars. They will be able to access this at home, as often as they like! The games motivate the children to practice and improve their speed and accuracy, as well as playing against their peers, other classes and the world!